THE VILLA An emblem of the hotel and a key element of its operation
The villa of Sikelianos, was completed at 1916 and based on the plans of the poet himself. It began to be built in 1912 with stones transported from Agious Theodorous. The architectural designs combine three phases: the archaeological with the columns in the front, the Byzantine style in the rules of which the windows and the Venetian we observe in the balconies, obey. There is a ground floor, basement and first floor and it extends to 450 sqm including large verandas.
This villa, was the base of Sikeliano’s common goal with his first wife Eva Palmer for the establishment of the Delphic celebrations. Here, also there were hosted great thinkers of that time, such as Kostis Palamas, Kostas Karuwtakis and their close friend Nikos Kazantzakis.
During World War II, the detached house became the headquarter of both the Italians and the German whereas during the civil war, was the rebel’s guild. At the end of 1950s, it became property of Tupaldo’s family , where it belongs to until this day. During 1980s, the villa was designated as a significant monument of the country’s modern cultural heritage and protected by the relevant legislation.